The fact is that Apple systems tend to be more reliable because there are less variables. One company makes Macintosh computers. One company designs them. One company sells them. One company supports them.
Windows PC’s are made by many major brands plus thousands and thousands of smaller manufacturers and everybody’s brother-in-law. Windows is a very stable operating system and has been for many years (at least ten). I have fixed tons of systems that people were ready to ‘throw out the window’ because they were unreliable.
You will have a more reliable system if you do the following:
- Buy a system from a known and reliable vendor (I have a bottom of the line Dell Dimension)
- Install service packs and hotfixes
- Install and configure a firewall (I use ZoneAlarm)
- Use Firefox as your browser (I have since it was called Phoenix v.4)
- Install and configure a anti-virus program (I use AVG)
- Only install programs you plan to use (I’m not a software collector)