Friday, September 16, 2005

My friend, the criminal

About two months ago, I found out that someone I know is a criminal. This isn't some petty issue. I'm not talking about a youthful indiscretion. This person is middle-aged woman with grown children. The amount of the theft has not been pinpointed yet (and probably never will be). It was certainly as much as my house cost me in 1997. It may have been 3 times that. There was no warning. There was just dishonesty. This person admitted their wrongdoing just before the truth was found out.

I was shocked and saddened by the theft, the dishonesty, the betrayal and my misplaced trust.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can identify with this in more ways than one - a trusted employee embezzled over $30,000 from me (that much I know of ) then the dad of Susan's best high school friend and college roommate, left for prison last week. Pleaded guilty to many counts of selling drug supplies in huge quantities out of his wholesale supply business. It's almost as if it is supposed to happen to people you don't know - not personally acquainted with them. Very Sad !

Texas Butt Nuggett said...

When I was about 15 or 16 I was fired from the grocery store chain I worked for after having stolen a radio. It was the right thing for them to do, given the circumstances.

The general manager gave a me a very severe and stern lecture about my life and my future and recommended I get on the straight and narrow for my next job.

I found out about 5 years later that he had gone to prison for having embezzeled about 100k from the same grocery store.