Friday, December 03, 2004

If you can't see me in my mirrors, I can't see you.

This is a stupid sticker that you see on the back of tractor trailer rigs all the time. It's untrue. What the sticker implies is that if I can't see the truck driver in his mirror, he can't see my car. That's not the case, it only means that he can't see my eyes. My truck is a considerably larger target for him to focus on. If he can't see me, it's not my problem. If he can't see the traffic around him, then he should invest in a rear facing-camera or adequate mirrors, or he shouldn't be driving. My Dodge Ram is large, but if a Miata is traveling in my blind spot and I change lanes and drive over him, it's my fault. It would be my fault even if I had a sticker on the right rear fender that said "You are traveling in my blind spot". Now, if the purpose of the sticker is not to relieve the driver or company of liability, then what's the point ? If it's just to remind users that they may be traveling in a dangerous spot, simply put "You are traveling in my blind spot. Please be extra cautious".

No comments: