Friday, December 03, 2004

Fry's security can be avoided (Secret: Don't tell anyone)

Let me preface this post with this: I love Fry's. I like almost everything about it except for one thing: When you leave the store, they have people that check your receipt against what is in your bag. I don't understand the reason for this. If I were going to shoplift, the item I would be walking out with would still be in my pocket. My theory is that it is to check on their employees. There is an opportunity for dishonesty or negligence there. That's what I think they're checking for. I read a couple of years ago that stores had no right to do this. I'm not sure of the legal ramification, but I have simply been ignoring the reverse greeters as I leave. There will be two or three of them there, with no customers and I'll just walk out. It's very liberating. It seems like I'm getting away with something, or that I have single-handedly found the flaw in their impervious wall of security.

1 comment:

Texas Butt Nuggett said...

Eric, I applaud you for doing something I have only ever dreamed about. I'm going to make it a point, the next time I'm at Fry's (possibly tomorrow?) to walk past them with my head held high and a secret hope that they decide I've actually stolen something. I further hope I'm beaten severely so that I can then turn around and sue the bastards! Thanks for this inspiration. You've reminded me what true friends are!