Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Auburn Men's Golf Coach Mike Griffin Leaving Coaching


Coach recruited Will and I've been around him several times over the past year. Coach, you will be missed. Good luck on your new job!


Auburn Men's Golf Coach Mike Griffin Leaving Coaching - AUBURN OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE: "Mike Griffin, who has served as the Auburn men's golf coach for the previous 25 seasons is stepping down from his coaching responsibilities and will remain with the program as the director of golf. A four-time Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year, Griffin led the program to an SEC title in 2002 and eight SEC runner-up finishes, 16 NCAA Championship appearances and 19 NCAA Regional appearances.

'I have been here a long time and after looking at things through experienced eyes, I decided this is what was best for me and my family and for Auburn golf and the young people here,' Griffin said. 'When I was brought here, my purpose was to get a golf course, practice facility and team home built, and those have been completed.

'We've been very competitive, winning several tournament and individual titles, including SEC and Regional team and individual titles, and an NCAA individual title. The only thing we've not accomplished was winning a team title, however, what makes it better was having the opportunity to host an NCAA Championship.'"

2 comments:

Sara Quinn said...

Sad to me. Coach Griff has always treated my entire family with the utmost respect. "Great career, Coach! We hope you stick around AU so we can see you often."

Susan said...

Yes, very sad. Coach Griffin saw something in Will and told me he knew he should be an "Auburn man"...I will be forever grateful for him giving Will the opportunity to play golf for the Auburn Tigers.