Monday, September 13, 2004

An unreal evening 11 years ago...

I had lived within an hour of Houston all my life, but I always heard about this great blues bar in Austin called Antone's. It's where Stevie Ray Vaughan and The Fabulous Thunderbirds got their start. I had seen The Fabulous Thunderbirds as the opening band in front of ZZ Top and The Rolling Stones at the Astrodome in 1981. On any given night, I knew that you could see great bluesmen. My dream was to see Albert Collins at Antone's.

Soon after I moved to Round Rock from Houston in 1993, some friends bought tickets and took me to see Albert Collins at Antone's. It was a spectacular evening. Kim Wilson (singer and harmonica player for The Fabulous Thunderbirds) blew the harp and Albert played like magic. He died later that year.

No comments: